USC School of Architecture welcomes requests for Visiting Scholars from other academic institutions nationally and internationally. Each request will be reviewed by the Dean’s Office as well as the Associate Dean and the Directors of our various graduate programs. Please note that we do not accept doctoral students from other institutions as visiting scholars.
An application should consist of the following:
- Cover Letter/Statement of Purpose
- Curriculum Vitae
- A detailed statement of study interest including:
- Description of Research Project.
- Its relevance to individuals or programs at the USC School of Architecture.
- Expectations of potential interaction with graduate and PhD students.
- The final report or measure of impact of the stay on research for our records.
International applicants should review information about J-1 Scholars from the Office of International Services (OIS): http://sait.usc.edu/ois/j1-scholars.aspx
A decision on acceptance of a Visiting Scholar will be made after review of a complete file.
Criteria for acceptance include the following minimum conditions:
- The designated USC School of Architecture Faculty Member or Program Director considers the subject of study to be genuinely interesting and relevant.
- The study expectations of the applicant will not require excessive time or resources from faculty members, staff or librarians.
- There are no funding or space obligations by the School of Architecture.
- The total number of such visitors should not exceed our ability to provide fundamental courtesies and collegiality.
Note: Visiting Scholars are typically allowed to audit classes with the consent of the instructor, to use the library system at USC, and to have general access to Watt Hall and Harris Hall. Visiting scholar applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please submit application and materials via email to Jane Ilger, firstname.lastname@example.org, at least 5 months prior to your anticipated start date to allow for processing of paperwork.